Lightbow takes user privacy seriously. Sure, a light control app doesn't really have much in the way of confidential user data, but we still believe privacy policies are an important part of having an app on the App Store. The challenge comes in weighing the potential benefits of collecting data with the expectations and responsibilities that come with keeping that data. We believe that limited collection of user data will have a positive impact on the quality of Lightbow moving forward, so in the interests of transparency, here are the things we do, or plan to do in a future version:
We collect the following personal information from you:
- Contact information such as name and email address, with permission.
- Preference information you provide such as communication preferences.
- Usage activity about how you navigate the app, interact with your lights, details about your lighting hardware setup, what kind of triggers you try out, and your preset data.
- Information about your mobile device such as your device type, operating system, and whether you're using a jailbroken device.
- Once we add Facebook integration, you may be presented with opportunities to opt-in to sharing some of your Facebook data, or "liking" Lightbow or some element within Lightbow. All of these opportunities will behave just like other apps that use Facebook, and you'll have the opportunity to decline.
We use this information to:
- Assess your needs to determine suitable products or services.
- Send product update information.
- Respond to customer service requests.
- Send you push notifications when you are using our app. If you do not want these notifications, you can manage your preference either through your device or app settings depending on your device type.
- Send you a newsletter, if you sign up to receive it.
- Improve our app and marketing efforts.
- Conduct research and analysis.
We do not knowingly contact or collect personal information from children under 13. If you believe we have inadvertently collected such information, please contact us so we can promptly obtain parental consent or remove the information.
Viewing Your Information
You can contact us by email at email@example.com to request to see any information we have about you. If you're curious, you can browse the contents of the data file by using the "Email Feedback & Support" feature in Settings, changing our email address to your own email, and opening the attached file with any SQL viewer.
Sharing of Information
Analytics companies may access anonymous data (such as your IP address or device ID) to help us understand how our services are used. They use this data solely on our behalf. They do not share it except in aggregate form; no data is shared as to any individual user. Lightbow embeds the Facebook SDK and HockeyApp to facilitate various features, and you can read their privacy policies here: http://hockeyapp.net/privacy/ and here: https://www.facebook.com/about/basics/
We do not share personally identifiable information (such as name or email) with other companies for marketing purposes.
You may opt-out of receiving our newsletter or marketing emails from us by following the unsubscribe instructions included in each newsletter or marketing email or you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We take reasonable administrative, physical and electronic measures designed to safeguard and protect your information from unauthorized access or disclosure. However, no security or encryption method can be guaranteed to protect information from hackers or human error.
Information we collect may be stored or processed on computers located in any country where we do business.
Disclosure of Information
To operate the service, we also may make identifiable and anonymous information available to third parties in these limited circumstances: (1) with your express consent, (2) when we have a good faith belief it is required by law, (3) when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to protect our rights or property, or (4) to any successor or purchaser in a merger, acquisition, liquidation, dissolution or sale of assets. Your consent will not be required for disclosure in these cases, but we will attempt to notify you, to the extent permitted by law to do so.